The Cocoon Room, AKA The Bedroom!
• Have the lights on dimmers………mood is everything.
• Layer the draperies, it will allow you to control the light and privacy but also the acoustics. This is the room that should be sound proof from noise outside and from the rest of the house.
• Put soft plush carpeting underfoot. Upgrade the pad under the carpet to a softer feel.
• Keep fragment burning oils, candles or simple Glade Plug ins to scent the room with an aroma of flowers or clean linens.
• Even if you have a very small bedroom, try to create a sitting area. A small fully upholstered chair and an ottoman will serve as a place of rest morning and evening.
• Make sure your night table has a large enough top surface for items like a journal, a bedside water decanter and glass, your favorite picture of your loved one, a pen and paper tablet and enough room to place a tea cup and saucer.
• Try mounting wall lights (lamp and shade style) over the nightstands. It will give you more room on the top of the nightstand and most have swing arm cranes so you can move them closer to you when reading in bed.
• Listen to soft music in the bedroom it will settle your nerves.
• Do not pay bills, talk about finances, argue, and work on the computer or any thing of that nature. It changes the spirit of the room……..
A few years ago I was asked to do the interior design work for only the first floor of a home. When I asked if I could go upstairs, just to get a feel for the way the family really lived, I was told that upstairs where the bedrooms were was off limits. No money was going to be spent there. It bothered me that they did not appreciate the full potential of how important a bedroom is to the soul and to the well being of the person to whom it belongs. We are told that we spend one-third of our lives in bed. And most of us spend an average of 12 hours a day in our bedrooms, tidying up, dressing and undressing, arranging our wardrobes, exercising, reading, reflecting, writing, talking on the telephone, listening to music, planning our lives, daydreaming, loving, sleeping, nursing a cold, eating meals on a tray, napping………….It is possible that we might spend half our lives in this environment! So, it should be beautiful, a private sanctuary, it should nourish you and comfort you when you need it. Go ahead “piange e ride” in your bedroom.